Let's make bread and find out about the fascinating world of yeast and bread baking! We'll have fun watching the yeast come alive while learning about the science behind making bread. This activity will help us develop our fine motor skills as we knead the dough. What joy home cooking can bring when we share the warm bread straight from the oven.
What We Need:
- 4 cups flour, (white, or whole wheat)
- 1.5 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 packet yeast
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Greased cookie sheet
- Pastry brush
- 1 Egg, whisked
- Large mixing bowl
- Clean kitchen towel
What We Need To Do:
- Measure 1 1/2 cups of warm water and pour it into a bowl.
- Sprinkle yeast into the warm water. Stir it until it softens.
- Now, measure and add in the flour, sugar and salt.
- Mix the ingredients until they form a dough ball.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough until it's smooth and elastic.
- Make shapes with the dough. Include animals, letters and shapes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the dough shapes on the cookie sheet.
- Use a clean kitchen towel to cover the cookie sheet to allow the dough to rise until all the pieces are double their original size.
- Explain how yeast helps make the dough rise.
- Brush each dough sculpture with a beaten egg.
- Carefully place the cookie sheet in the oven for 12-15 minutes until the bread is golden brown.
- Cool, eat and enjoy!